Balikbayan is a Pinoy term that literally means return to one's country. And when a balikbayan comes home (whether for a vacation or for good), the whole clan just comes to life!
Our family spent a whole month with my mom who recently took a vacay from the States. This is why this blog was a bit quiet that entire time. We froze all our activities, even our businesses to have some quality time with my mother. We also spent our time visiting other relatives, eating out, pigging out, picnicking, raiding buffets, and practically everything else involving food. So, what else is so exciting about welcoming a balikbayan back?
1. The whole barangay goes to the airport to welcome a long-missed loved one.
2. The pasalubong. Let's all admit it. There is joy in sifting through the boxes that our balikbayan loved ones bring home with them. These were, of course, lovingly packed by them so the joy is always two-way.
3. Party-party. Everyone's always in a good mood. Everyone's thrilled and excited to bond or even just to cook some foods at home (ihaw-ihaw lang solb na) and sing some videoke songs.
4. It's a moment to forget your diet. C'mon. Everyone's having fun and stuffing themselves to the brim, so what are you gonna do, right? Let that diet wait for another month, okay lang yan.
5. Raiding malls and the buffets in those malls. What? We're Pinoys and Pinoys looooove food. And while the balikbayan may be excited by the many new restaurants that opened, they still long for the nakasanayan na like Kamayan or even Jollibee.
6. Beach, beach, and more beach!
7. More than all these fun things, we realize when our balikbayan loved ones come home, that we've missed them and that our family ties have once again been strengthened by those few weeks that we've spent with them. We realize that no amount of distance could weaken our strong family ties.
Memory Will Remain: The Untold Story of Julie Vega
The story of the Philippine Soap Opera Princess as told by her family, friends, colleagues, reporters, and fans.
How to Leave Debt & Stay Happily Married
Who would even dare think of this word when you are high up on the clouds during your honeymoon phase? Yet no matter how blissful your first few months or years are, money issues eventually have their way of taking a toll on the relationship, and if these remain unsolved, the situation could easily lead to separation.
Primarily given for FREE, this eBook is now available for download for the minimal price of just P150.00.
Save money, save your marriage. Learn how!
E.S. Villamor has made a career in writing for a decade now. Her online business - GIML (Gabriela Isabel & Miguel Lucas) Publishing started in 2014. She advocated for women's rights and was once enamored with imparting financial literacy through training and blogs but she is now focused on propagating all things Filipino. This site is also being groomed as a rich homeschooling resource.